Saturday, April 7, 2012
My daughter is serious about feeding her 14-month old fresh, healthy food. She can find these ingredients at the local Farmers Market.
This recipe was a big hit with the toddler. The baby loves broccoli and can feed herself these delicious patties. The rest of the family requested them too.
Broccoli & Cheese Patties
1 Russet Potato, peeled and cubed
1 Cup Broccoli Florets
1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
3 Tbsp Panko or Bread Crumbs
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Large Egg
1/8 Tsp Garlic Powder
1/8 Tsp Onion Powder
1/2 Cup Panko or Bread Crumbs
1 Tbsp Canola or Vegetable Oil or Olive Oil
1. Place the potato cubes in a steamer pot over boiling water and cook for 8 minutes.
2. Add the broccoli to the steamer pot and steam the vegetables for an additional 2 minutes, or until they are fork tender. Then, remove everything from pot and allow them to cool.
3. Mash the potatoes in a large bowl and chop the broccoli florets into bite-size pieces.
4. Add the broccoli, cheese, panko, salt, egg, garlic and onion powder to the bowl and combine.
5. Place the remaining 1/2 cup of panko in a separate bowl.
6. Using a ice cream scoop or 2 tbsp to measure, roll the mixture into balls, coat them in the panko and then shape each one into a small patty.
* 7. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a skillet over medium heat, place the patties in the skillet and press down with a spatula to flatten a little.
8. Pan-fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden.
9. Serve with ketchup, sour cream or any favorite dipping sauce.
*At this point, place the patties on a baking sheet and freeze for one hour. Put the patties in zipper bags and label. Defrost when ready to use and cook following step #7.
(Makes 12 Patties)