1½ cups sugar
3 T undiluted frozen orange juice concentrate
1 T fresh lemon zest
1½ cups flour
1½ t baking powder
½ t salt
Glaze: 1 cup powdered sugar
2 T fresh orange or tangerine juice
2 t grated fresh orange or tangerine zest
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 9x13 inch pan with aluminum foil, having extra foil pressed over the sides as handles. Spray the sides of the pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well.
3. Add the frozen orange juice concentrate and the lemon zest.
4. In separate medium sized bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
5. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the batter, mixing until just combined. Do not over mix.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the top is shiny and feels firm to the touch, 25-30 minutes.
7. While the Blondie is baking, make the glaze by mixing the powdered sugar, orange juice and orange zest together in a small bowl. Stir until smooth.
8. Cool the Blondie on a wire rack. Pierce with a fork, and pour the glaze over entire cake.
9. Lift the cooled bars from the pan using the paper/foil handles. Remove the foil and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into squares or triangles.
Makes about 24 bars
STUFFED MEDJOOL DATES
Ingredients: 30-40 Medjool Dates (one 2 lb container from Cost Co)
1 lb Chorizo sausage (you won’t need all of it)
1 lb Apple wood smoked bacon (Trader Joe’s)
1. Remove pits from dates. I use a chopstick to push the pit out.
2. Cover a sheet pan with aluminum foil. Set a cooling rack on top of the foil. This will allow the fat to drip off the bacon while the dates cook.
3. Stuff the dates with a little bit of chorizo. I use a chopstick to push the sausage into the date.
4. Cut each piece of bacon into thirds. Wrap a piece of bacon around the date, secure with a tooth pick.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
6. Place the dates on the prepared rack.
7. Bake at 350 F until bacon is crisp, about 20-30 minutes.
8. Serve immediately.
9. Can be reheated on a low oven.