Friday, October 29, 2010
Minty CHOCOLATE CHIP MERINGUES from Leslie Christiansen
3 egg whites
1 cup sugar
2 T unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
½ t vanilla or 1/8 t pure mint extract or PURE MINT
3-6 oz mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 275 F. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.
2. Heat a small amount of water in a sauce pan to a simmer.
3. Place egg whites in the heat-proof bowl of your electric mixer. Whisking constantly, warm egg whites over the simmering water until luke-warm.
4. Place the warm eggs whites and the bowl back in the electric mixer stand, add the salt and whip on high speed until frothy, about 1 minute.
5. With the mixer on high, add half the sugar all at once, and beat for 2 minutes. Gradually add the remaining sugar, beating until the egg whites are stiff and glossy, about 5 minutes total.
6. Lower the mixer speed and add the cocoa powder (if using) and vanilla.
7. Fold in the chocolate chips.
8. Use a teaspoon to drop a cookie kiss on the prepared sheet pans.
9. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 275 F. The outside will be crisp and the inside will be a little soft.
10. Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from the parchment paper.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
*For variety I do not use the cocoa powder and I use the mint extract instead of vanilla.